The Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992. Regulation 20, Sanitary conveniences, states:
- Suitable and sufficient sanitary conveniences shall be provided at readily accessible places.
- Without prejudice to the generality of paragraph (1), sanitary conveniences shall not be suitable unless –
- the rooms containing them are adequately ventilated and lit;
- they and the rooms containing them are kept in a clean and orderly condition; and
- separate rooms containing conveniences are provided for men and women except where and so far as each convenience is in a separate room the door of which is capable of being secured from inside.
The Approved code of practice goes on to give minimum numbers of facilities:
(The number of people at work shown in column 1 refers to the maximum number likely to be in the workplace at any one time)
Number of toilets and washbasins for mixed use
|Number of people at work||Number of toilets||Number of washbasins|